We are all searching for ways to keep ourselves youthful and healthy. We admire those feisty seniors who are living a vibrant life and often say, “I hope to be like them when I’m their age”. Well, vitality doesn’t happen by accident. It takes a youthful spirit and some great health habits. Many seniors are smart cookies and know that chiropractic care gives them a healthy edge for doing the things they love!
The benefits of chiropractic care for seniors include:
- Pain Relief: Nerves and muscles that are compressed due to a spinal misalignments can cause pain and decrease function. By correcting any misalignments in the spine, the patient can experience pain relief without pain relievers.
- Increased Range of Motion in the Spine and Extremities: Limbo anyone!? Many people experience stiffness as they age due to injuries and inactivity. The chiropractic adjustment increases range of motion in the spine. Patients may notice benefits such as: having greater range of motion their neck while driving, being able to play with their grandchildren and adding distance to their golf drive.
- Better Balance and Coordination: Now, we’re not saying they need to be able to walk on a balance beam like an Olympic gymnast and do cartwheels! But falls are a BIG concern for seniors. Degenerative changes in the neck region can lead to an increased likelihood of falling. The joints in the neck provide information to the brain on balance, coordination and proprioception. When functioning at an optimal level, the chance of injuries due to falls is greatly decreased.
- Less degeneration: With chiropractic care, proper alignment of the spine is maintained, degeneration becomes a slower process and height can be maintained.
- Independent living: Because chiropractic care helps with maintaining overall health and function, seniors are able to live independently much longer than their non-chiropractic counter parts.
- Increased Vitality: It’s more than just a treatment for pain. Seniors under regular chiropractic care experience greater energy levels and increased quality of life.